MX5 cannot import MX4.9.4 user data

Wisely

• 3 months later...

Mine still says importing data, please wait......and an icon to the left that keeps chasing itself.  It imported folders, just not the data in those folders.  If the programmers were smart, they would of put a window there so you could see things going by, so you know it is not hung up someplace...........ohhhhhhhh, I forgot, programmers know more than the end user what needs to show.

Did you try reinstalling?

Test with a portable version and see if the same occurs.

17 hours ago, nevergetany said:

If the programmers were smart, they would of put a window there so you could see things going by, so you know it is not hung up someplace...........ohhhhhhhh, I forgot, programmers know more than the end user what needs to show.

1. No other browser offers this that i've seen

2. Generally there shouldn't be a need given the small amount of actual data there to import.

The fact that it's hanging is an issue, and ideally there should be a timeout period where you get an error of some description.

But it's not a widespread issue that many have mentioned. So a little playing around should get it imported properly. Not ideal of course, but other option is just to stick with what you were using previously as you mentioned above.

MX3 and 4 were much more similar than what MX4 and 5 are to each other. Part of the reason why there could be more issues such as this.

So while you are having issues, it's not an "issue" with the browser as everyone, without question, would have the same problem.

Ideally you'd uninstall (including any userdata) and reinstall to ensure there's no data left that could be causing issues. If you're using an account it should all download on reinstall.

On 11/7/2016 at 8:33 PM, Wisely said:

as title, MX5 cannot import MX4.9.4 user data, including favorite and skynote....

Could you check this problem?

Because I cannot import MX4 data from server or from local.

Hi Wisely,

The first time you install and open MX5, there will pop-up a banner saying to import data from MX4. If you missed this option.

Then you can use "sync" button.

Or, you can export data from MX4 and then import to MX5 manually.

I told it to import from Mx4.  It said it did it.  The folders were there, but the data was not.  So where is the "sync" button?  I have not located anything that says "sync" yet.  How do I get to the "sync" button, and what steps do I take to get all the data from Mx4 to Mx5.  As it is right now everytime I want to use links from Mx4 I have to exit Mx5, open Mx4 (and let it make changes to the hard drive); go into my favorites folder, search for the sub folder I want, then click on the link.  After I finish with what I need to do, I then exit Mx4, reload Mx5 (and let it make changes to the hard drive.....again); and then continue on with Mx5.  At one time I "ran across" where the saved passwords were, so I could edit them to make the passwords correct and delete the ones that were no longer used, but now I can't find where that is.  How do I get there?

What version are you using?  Mine does not show Maxnote...Passkeeper...UUMail.  It does not have search records box nor Sync...nor New record.  It does not have MYmost favorites..Default folder or the other icons shown.  It does not have Default folder...or the other items listed shown under Default folder.  So I'm not sure what happened to mine or if they were ever there. My version is 5.0.2.1000 and says it is up to date.  Is there something in settings that has to be done to make what you show appear?  I'm pretty sure I'm have done something wrong, but I don't know what.  Any idea how to import the data from 200 folders all at once to their respective folders that the import did.  All the import did (so far) is copy the folders over to Mx5, but didn't bring the data with it.

4 hours ago, nevergetany said:

What version are you using?  

5.0.2.2000, but this has been a part of MX5 since the first release.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

And follow BugSir006's instructions to make sure you're looking at the right page.

When I clicked on my avatar, up popped the screen he had...........guess it was one of those "undocumented" features. But I still have the same problem...the data from Mx4 was not carried forward to the folders.  Until the problem is corrected, the only thing I can see to do is everytime I have to go to a link is go back to Mx4 and track down which sub folder I want to use and then then go to the links that are inside that sub folder.  This is about the 15th time I have pressed the button that says import Mx4 to Mx5.  This time though I did press the sync.  Still got the same results...folders and sub folders are still there a few have some data links, but most do not.

10 hours ago, nevergetany said:

When I clicked on my avatar, up popped the screen he had...........guess it was one of those "undocumented" features.

Not sure how you missed it as it's been available since MX5 was released. And it's shown to you on the first run of MX5. And is the only way to access any of the passkeeper data.

But anyway. Seeing as you haven't had luck with auto-importing, just export the favourites from MX4 (Main Menu > Tools > Import/Export userdata > Export Favourites > export to HTML file).

Then in MX5 (Main Menu > Tools > Import/Export userdata > Import User data > HTML file). Select the file you saved from MX4 and it should all be imported. If it's still not working after that, then there is something seriously wrong with your install. Double check the entries in the favourites HTML file saved and make sure they are there.

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

just export the favourites from MX4 (Main Menu > Tools > Import/Export userdata > Export Favourites > export to HTML file).

Then in MX5 (Main Menu > Tools > Import/Export userdata > Import User data > HTML file). Select the file you saved from MX4 and it should all be imported. If it's still not working after that, then there is something seriously wrong with your install. Double check the entries in the favourites HTML file saved and make sure they are there.

thanks for sharing, detailed and useful!

I have imported mx4; HTML file, and even Mx4/3 local data and it still has not populated the folders and subfolders with the links that are in them.  I'm doing something wrong, but I havn't figured it out yet.  When I switched from Mx3 to Mx4 a year or so ago, everything went in fine and had no problems (except with some of the passwords).  Is it possible to copy a folder (which has many sub folders) and paste it over the mx5 shell folder that was created (that has shell sub folders).?  I think I figured something out:  There were some link titles at the top of the browser screen.  When I opened them up some had folders with sub folders that were empty, so I deleted them.  Some of the links went nowhere, so I deleted them.  There were some though, that had some fakey title that did have the folders and sub folders and did have the data in them.  When I did as you said, copy the html folder I renamed it mx4 favorites, and in one of the link folders at the top of the page when I opened it there was my mx4 favorites folder.  I opened it up, and there were the sub folders...checked on some of them and sure enough there were the links inside.  So the bottom line is I didn't know I was supposed to go through all those steps.  So at this point I think it is working (at least hobbling) until encounter another problem, that I won't know the step by step procedure to get it to work.  So thanks guys, I would not have accomplished it without your assistance.

56 minutes ago, nevergetany said:

So the bottom line is I didn't know I was supposed to go through all those steps.

You shouldn't have had to go through those steps. Just for some reason things didn't go smoothly as they normally would, or at least that's what it seems like.

At least now you have your bookmarks imported over.

This issue is known and I've already reported about it.

A new version of the web browser should not require us to re-create the settings, and it should not create a new web browser. It should replace the previous one, while having all the features of the previous one.

It has happened every time the web browser got a new major version. MX, MX2, MX3, MX4, and now MX5...

There is practically no other modern web browser that does this.

I started my own thread on my issue but I have a similar question. I only use Guest "login" Maxthon Now is my start/ home page. In the centerof the page is the "Favorites" section which is different from the "Favorites Folder" found on the tool bar. My "Favorites" Section has 40 links with their associated passwords which are stored in Magic Fill. I want MX5 to bring all of that information in along with the "Favorites" on the tool bar from V 4.9.4.3000

8 minutes ago, BGFun said:

I started my own thread on my issue but I have a similar question. I only use Guest "login" Maxthon Now is my start/ home page. In the centerof the page is the "Favorites" section which is different from the "Favorites Folder" found on the tool bar. My "Favorites" Section has 40 links with their associated passwords which are stored in Magic Fill. I want MX5 to bring all of that information in along with the "Favorites" on the tool bar from V 4.9.4.3000

I think I answered in your other thread....but I honestly don't know if passwords are imported too, but I think so.

Archived