[Question] Maxthon versioning

Arcan

I am bit confuse about Maxthon's current versioning.

At the moment you are mantaining and updating 4 differnt versions:

- Maxthon 5
- Maxthon 4.9.X
- Maxthon 4.4.X
- Nitro 

I can understand you having 1 maxthon and 1 nitro, since this is a lighter version of Maxthon. But why do you keep Maxton 5, 4.4 and 4.9?  What's the difference between them???  I don't know which should I use. I am sure more useres are having the same question.

MX5 is the flagship browser. Most effort will be going towards this in the future. It's still in beta for now, but more than usable if you're happy with some missing features etc.

MX4.9 was a major rebuild adding a new webkit core. Much of what was added here was used to build MX5. This is still updated, but mostly just minor bugfixes. If you want a stable maxthon browser, this is what you should use.

MX4.4 is old. Still uses Webkit v30(?). Hasn't been updated for quite some time (march 2016). I wouldn't recommend it, unless there is some reason you can't use one of the later versions.

Nitro was a light version as you noted. Some of what was implemented in Nitro was used to create MX4.9/5. While it's still being touted as a release product, it also hasn't been updated for quite some time.

So despite there being 4 different versions, only 2 are actually viable - and of those only 1 is seeing constant active development.

if you want a simple answer to your question - Use Maxthon5.

1 hour ago, Arcan said:

That was an excelent answer. Thank you.

Only one doubt: You said taht MX5 is missing features, but actually isn't MX4.9 missing some features from MX4.4 too?  for example some of the "Send to Cloud" options, etc. 

Yes, since 4.9 branch there is no more Cloud features like send to Cloud or Tab in Cloud also.

Archived