Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CsmithHelena

winpc resolved Password problem on different sites on same domain

25 posts in this topic

Hello, I am having a password problem with Passkeeper autosaved passwords. The problem is, we have multiple sites on the same internal domain on our intranet and different logins for each site, and I see that they are saved in autosaved passwords but it seems to use only the more recent login for whichever password is on that domain. For example:

I have site web2.mydomain.com and vpn.mydomain.com and separate logins for each. Both logins are stored in the saved passwords. But if I login to web2.mydomain.com as user1 and password1, then login to vpn.mydomain.com with user2 and password2, then the next time I access web2.mydomain.com, the form is auto-filled with user2 information instead of user1. I think it also has password2 instead of password1 as well, but I can't see the passwords. Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but autofill is not working right for me. And it could be because mydomain.com is internal not external to my work site?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it helps, both sites in the above are rendered using Ultra Mode even though it recommended IE (some of our internal sites are also recommended for IE by Maxthon but are incompatible with the default IE rendering mode, though I have not tried the standard rendering with retro mode which may work). If it helps, web2.mydomain.com uses Windows integrated authentication, and vpn.mydomain.com uses form-based authentication, and the password collector seems to get the two logins confused for the same (internal) domain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enabled standard rendering in Retro mode and switched my vpn.mydomain.com to IE mode, and got the same behavior, which is, when I signed in as user2/password2 then went back to web2.mydomain.com I got user2/password2 instead of user1/password1 (I'm guessing on the passwords). So that didn't fix it. For now, I have made user1/password1 work on both sites, but they are treated by the password utility as the same site for auto-fill purposes, and I don't understand why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @CsmithHelena, really thank you for posting here. And the detailed information provided is quite helpful for us to identify your problem.

Could you also tell me which version are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi @CsmithHelena, really thank you for posting here. And the detailed information provided is quite helpful for us to identify your problem.

Could you also tell me which version are you using?

Sorry I forgot to add the version: 5.0.1.1700 latest MX5 beta that I have. I really do like Maxthon! Especially the snap region feature, which is one of the coolest features in a browser I have ever seen. I just wish that it were 64-bit and that the Flash version was newer or could be selectively disabled. Other than that, and my password problem above, it is close to perfect.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CsmithHelena said:

Sorry I forgot to add the version: 5.0.1.1700 latest MX5 beta that I have. I really do like Maxthon! Especially the snap region feature, which is one of the coolest features in a browser I have ever seen. I just wish that it were 64-bit and that the Flash version was newer or could be selectively disabled. Other than that, and my password problem above, it is close to perfect.

64 bit would add nothing and you can update your flash version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PHYR said:

64 bit would add nothing and you can update your flash version.

How do you update the flash version? Looks like it is a 32-bit PPAPI style?

EDIT: Nevermind, thanks. I am on 64-bit Windows 10, and I forgot about installing Adobe Flash and copying the DLL from C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash (instead of C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash) to MX5 plugins folder and renaming it so MX5 can see it. Works great now! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EDIT:

Sorry, the problem for me is solved only on vpn.mydomain.com which uses form-based authentication and I did not realize I could click on the field and have it display both of my logins and allow me to choose one. I expected behavior more like Edge but I am glad to know this. So I am embarrased by that but happy. However, I still have the problem, but only on sites like my web2.mydomain.com which uses Integrated Windows Authentication and only offers the last login that I used for the mydomain.com generally and not the exact site web2.mydomain.com itself. Some of our internal web apps (like this one) use Integrated Windows Authentication in the IIS server so it is a problem on those sites using that form of authentication.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CsmithHelena said:

Sorry, the problem for me is solved only on vpn.mydomain.com which uses form-based authentication and I did not realize I could click on the field and have it display both of my logins and allow me to choose one. I expected behavior more like Edge but I am glad to know this. So I am embarrased by that but happy. However, I still have the problem, but only on sites like my web2.mydomain.com which uses Integrated Windows Authentication and only offers the last login that I used for the mydomain.com generally and not the exact site web2.mydomain.com itself. Some of our internal web apps (like this one) use Integrated Windows Authentication in the IIS server so it is a problem on those sites using that form of authentication.

1

It's OK CsmithHelena, thank you for loving using Maxthon. We are also glad that you solved the problem yourself and found out the reason.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can help.

Have a nice day. :1f60b:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

It's OK CsmithHelena, thank you for loving using Maxthon. We are also glad that you solved the problem yourself and found out the reason.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can help.

Have a nice day. :1f60b:

Thank you but it's not completely resolved by me. I still have the problem on sites that use Integrated Windows Authentication where it treats two sites the same because they are on the same domain, but as far as I know, this is only a problem really for Integrated Windows Authentication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2016 at 0:48 AM, CsmithHelena said:

sites that use Integrated Windows Authentication

Hi CsmithHelena,

Could you give me some examples of sites like these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi CsmithHelena,

Could you give me some examples of sites like these?

No, because they are all internal and they authenticate with Microsoft Active Directory through IIS server, so there are no examples I could give. These are strictly internal to our work environment. But for some reason, MX5 does not recognize more than one login on sites like these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.10.2016 at 8:42 AM, BugSir006 said:

Hi CsmithHelena,

Could you give me some examples of sites like these?

I have this problem too.

Login to my ISP's main site is https://moskva.beeline.ru/login/

and ISP's users forum is http://homenet.beeline.ru/

MX trying to use one login/password for this 2 different sites and this is incorrect :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kilmatar said:

I have this problem too.

Login to my ISP's main site is https://moskva.beeline.ru/login/

and ISP's users forum is http://homenet.beeline.ru/

MX trying to use one login/password for this 2 different sites and this is incorrect :)

Yes it will try to use one login but you should be able to double-click in the field and it should show you a pop-up with both logins available. For my internal sites, using Integrated Windows Authentication with Active Directory on an IIS server in my internal work environment, this does not work. I believe that your external site should, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I found an external site with the problem as well. I have two different outlook.com email accounts, and it even though it acts like it saves multiple logins, it actually only saves one password, which is the latest one for whichever account I sign into. When I sign into the other account, it tries to use the wrong password. So it is not keeping the passwords for different usernames on the same site. This is with MX5 5.0.1.1900 beta on Windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOOD NEWS! 5.0.1.2200 fixed all of my password problems, internal and external!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using version 5.0.2.1000 (portable version)

I have 2 Paypal accounts.

Passkeeper is only keeping the ID and Password for the most recent login. Passkeeper should be able to retain separate ID & Password login information for each account.

I have some other websites where this is occuring on also.

Perhaps someone can look into this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, endgame said:

I'm using version 5.0.2.1000 (portable version)

I have 2 Paypal accounts.

Passkeeper is only keeping the ID and Password for the most recent login. Passkeeper should be able to retain separate ID & Password login information for each account.

I have some other websites where this is occuring on also.

Perhaps someone can look into this.

 

Have you tried double clicking the account text box? Doing that when signing out of this forum shows my multiple accounts without issue...simply select account and enter.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, endgame said:

Passkeeper is only keeping the ID and Password for the most recent login. Passkeeper should be able to retain separate ID & Password login information for each account.

And it does. Passkeeper won't know which account you want to use, so the safe option is to auto-fill the most recently used as it does. To select another double-click the user/pass field and select from the dropdown.

Also double check that both of your logins are saved in Passkeeper.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2016 at 0:07 AM, 7twenty said:

And it does. Passkeeper won't know which account you want to use, so the safe option is to auto-fill the most recently used as it does. To select another double-click the user/pass field and select from the dropdown.

Also double check that both of your logins are saved in Passkeeper.

Thanks, your information was very helpful.

Now when I login to my Passkeeper page I can see the two separate paypal login ID's displayed on the screen. I thought that when the user clicked on one of the logins that it would autofill whatever information was stored under that entry, so for example when I click the (paypal 1) account I thought it would autofill the ID and PW for that account, but instead when I click the (paypay 1) account it's autofilling the ID and PW for the (paypal 2) account. I'm not sure if it should work this way. The same thing happens with my 2 Amazon accounts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2016 at 6:39 PM, joemax said:

Have you tried double clicking the account text box? Doing that when signing out of this forum shows my multiple accounts without issue...simply select account and enter.

Thanks for the reply

I was trying to access the logins directly from the Passkeeper page.

Here is the problem I'm having.

When I login to my Passkeeper page I can see the two separate paypal login ID's displayed on the screen. I thought that when the user clicked on one of the logins that it would autofill whatever information was stored under that entry, so for example when I click the (paypal 1) account I thought it would autofill the ID and PW for that account, but instead when I click the (paypay 1) account it's autofilling the ID and PW for the (paypal 2) account. I'm not sure if it should work this way. The same thing happens with my 2 Amazon accounts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/12/2016 at 9:08 AM, endgame said:

so for example when I click the (paypal 1) account I thought it would autofill the ID and PW for that account,

That's exactly what should happen. Could be that they were just mistakenly labelled.

Go into Passkeeper and change the title to the correct names (name 1, 2, and 2, 1). Should be correct then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, 7twenty said:

That's exactly what should happen. Could be that they were just mistakenly labelled.

Go into Passkeeper and change the title to the correct names (name 1, 2, and 2, 1). Should be correct then.

When I login to my Passkeeper account I have 2 separate Paypal accounts and 2 separate Amazon accounts setup. I can click the edit button displayed beside each account and can see the login ID that should be used for each of the accounts. Now,when I click the Hyperlink to login, I notice sometimes it wants to log me into an account with a different login (other than the one displayed on the edit screen).

Maxthon support contacted me a couple of days and told me that this is normal - that if a user (for example) has 2 paypal accounts that both hyperlinks for each account will always try to log the user into the most recent account.

It seems kind of odd that it would work this way and I thought it might be a bug, but it appears to be how it's supposed to work. I may have to add a topic to the feature request page for this to be possibly changed in a future version.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, endgame said:

I can click the edit button displayed beside each account and can see the login ID that should be used for each of the accounts.

Good, now we know we're using the correct entries.

2 hours ago, endgame said:

Now,when I click the Hyperlink to login, I notice sometimes it wants to log me into an account with a different login (other than the one displayed on the edit screen).

Which link are we talking about exactly?... Actually, i think you're talking about the link shown in passkeeper.

I think there is some confusion with Passkeeper as to what it does/how it works.

The entries saved in Passkeeper don't directly open a link to a page using that login ID. They only open the page for which the data is saved - nothing more. When the page is opened then Maxthon will auto-fill (if enabled) the most recent login ID (seeing as it makes sense as it was the last used).

I'm not sure if there is a way they can flag which passkeeper record was clicked on, to then enter that data. But for now that is how it works.

To select another you will need to double-click in a username/password field to select one of the other saved Amazon login ID's.

Just for reference, Firefox won't autofill data if there is more than one account, you will need to select from a dropdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, 7twenty said:

The entries saved in Passkeeper don't directly open a link to a page using that login ID. They only open the page for which the data is saved - nothing more. When the page is opened then Maxthon will auto-fill (if enabled) the most recent login ID (seeing as it makes sense as it was the last used).

Thanks 7twenty, I never realized this before. I guess I was expecting it to work similar to the Magicfill links in MX4.xx. 

 

On 1/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, 7twenty said:

To select another you will need to double-click in a username/password field to select one of the other saved Amazon login ID's.

Yes, I think I'll just have to use this option for now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites