Add YouTube Video Download Function to Resource Sniffer

baerjo

First of all I've always loved the resource sniffer in MX. But one thing I find missing that an easy extension on other browsers fixes is a way to download youtube video or audio. Is there a way this functionality could be added to the resource sniffer? Another option would be to do like some extensions on Firefox do where it adds a "Download" button on youtube itself for the user. 

Or is this something already possible and I haven't figured it out?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, baerjo said:

First of all I've always loved the resource sniffer in MX. But one thing I find missing that an easy extension on other browsers fixes is a way to download youtube video or audio. Is there a way this functionality could be added to the resource sniffer? Another option would be to do like some extensions on Firefox do where it adds a "Download" button on youtube itself for the user. 

Or is this something already possible and I haven't figured it out?

Thanks!

Try this exension http://extension.maxthon.com/detail/index.php?view_id=2816

or 

this one http://extension.maxthon.com/detail/index.php?view_id=2888&category_id=13

Downloading videos directly from the site is  something that youtube has tried to prevent. It is  a breach of the terms of service of Youtube.

Youtube's Terms of Service clearly say the following:

You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. 

If Maxthon implements something like that it would probably end up with them getting a lawsuit which is not something that they would want to risk.

@30370376: I definitely understand that point. But the same could be said for the many sites on which the Resource Sniffer does work. Plus there are other browsers out there with native youtube download abilities (Torch comes to mind at the moment). So in the end if they were really concerned about that they would take away resource sniffer altogether which I really hope they NEVER do as it's a major reason I love MX so much. 

10 hours ago, 30370376 said:

Downloading videos directly from the site is  something that youtube has tried to prevent. It is  a breach of the terms of service of Youtube.

That's great and all, but if there's plenty of software and other browsers for that matter that allow it. At the end of the day, the program gives you the ability to do certain things which may also allow you to do other things which may or may not agree with their terms. Like a gun, or a car. They have their purpose, but it doesn't stop people doing illegal or stupid things with them. No company has been sued for the improper use of either of those.

I've been wanting MX's implementation to be updated for a long time as it hasn't worked properly since they changed their streaming type. Was hoping it would happen in MX5... seems not yet.

Thankfully the youtube centre extension works well.

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback and discussion. And thanks @magg giving us two substitute extensions to use for this purpose. 

I'll discuss with our product team about the inner logic of the resource sniffer function, to see if it's a result of protected content or other reasons. 

Will give you all a feedback soon. :1f60a:

Archived