Skinning MX4 to look (sort of) like my MX3 :-)

7twenty

OK, I did as you described. And it didn't work as I wanted it to. So it was something on my end. (BTW the MX3 ui.dat in post #13, wasn't my mod either, looks like the original skin. Must've got it mixed up somewhere).

After going thru the config files one by one, it turns out config.dat in the config folder is the culprit. If I copy the one in my original MX3 install to the new install it works as I expected. As to how or why that is the case, I have no idea.

As it's not a user-editable file, there's no way of finding what causes it and adding to MX4. Nor does copying over the version that was in MX3.

I'm happy that i've found the cause, just no so much that it may be a dead-end.

And thanks for helping me out with this, I hope i'm not wasting too much of your time.

thats good - no - no waste of time - i enjoy the messing - always learn a bit on route - the white screen issue will stay with me and the solution

the dll swapping works in many ways - you may come across something that does not work as i did with the skin dll swap - its a matter of deciding what is important to you

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Will definitely have another look at the dll swaps.

Also just noticed that MX4 doesn't have an icon that pops up in the address bar for resource sniffer content. Have been playing around for a while trying to figure it out. I can add a button back, but not make it appear/disappear dependent on whether there is content to download... something else to keep me busy :p

And since when did you become a recognised tester/feedback giver? And what the hell is a Thermer... according to the badge?

on the last point - yesterday - i had not noticed the spelling mistake on the badge - i block them so saw it for a few minutes and it went away - dont ask me how and why - maybe they thought i would stop moaning or whatever - dont think that will happen - the positive bit that i can see is that it increased my upload limit so i can now upload page.dat files if anyone is interested

of more importance - does it not have the icon in the status bar for resource sniffer - not sure as i turn it off

the dll swap works well - it broke a couple of things as i remember - neithe a big deal but i got my skin working in the ui.dat file so it became easy that way - i still swap the dll's when playing with skins as its easier than packing and unpacking the ui.dat

of more importance - does it not have the icon in the status bar for resource sniffer - not sure as i turn it off

No, the only place the Sniffer is, is in the quicktools bar. As I disable everything bar fav on toolbar, it's gone and there's no way to show it, not even a hotkey.

Might just end up adding it to the status bar with the zoom and adhunter etc. But what was nice about it was that it would let you know there is something able to download on the page, rather than you manually having to open Sniffer to check.

Like I said not a huge deal. Just another one of those strange things that seem to have changed for no particular reason.

could you not do it in the same way as you have noads and skynotes now as a single extension

i have added it as that on my toolbar - shows the same but is not part of the toolbar.mxaddon file -its its own file in users/my email/addons

post-2400682-14315107180311_thumb.png

res.zip

yeah, that's the workaround i was planning. I just thought it was cool that it used to pop up to say "hey look there's something here you can download".

Just made it more obvious, rather than having to manually open Sniffer.

EDIT: found the flag that it uses - mediaDiscovered. Seems it was changed from the way that it was done from MX3. Works great now :)

Regarding the Fav's panel issue. I tracked it back to where it started closing in MX3 as stated in my other thread. Seems somehow that setting got saved & carried over on the new installs with the old userdata, so I never noticed the change.

Only problem is that I can't seem to find anything in the UI/page.dats that might be related. From what I can tell playing around with the DLL's it may be related one of them...

Archived