Compatibility with Windows XP

Today, I did a clean install of V4.9.0.3000 RC from V4.4.8.1000 on my Windows XP computer.  I had experienced no problems with video playback on V4.4.8.1000.  However, with V4.9.0.3000 RC, I find the pages including the new tab, opening very slow.  All the videos play back choppy and not smooth.  Before I reinstall V4.4.8.1000, I was wondering if other Windows XP users are experiencing these issues and if these issues will ever be corrected as I had previously mentioned these issues in an earlier thread pertaining to an earlier beta version. Thanks.

7 hours ago, BugSir007 said:

Hi,

Have you tried the portable version as well? And please try without logging into your Maxthon account, in case the problem could due to your settings or extensions you may be running.

Thank you for your reply.  I haven't yet tried the portable version.  Is the portable version independent of the desktop version?  Does the portable version replace the desktop version?  I'm not sure that I understand the differences.

I only use Maxthon for viewing videos.  Other than having the cache automatically empty each time after closing, I use all of the default settings.  The only active extension installed is LastPass.

12 hours ago, BugSir007 said:

Hi,

Have you tried the portable version as well? And please try without logging into your Maxthon account, in case the problem could due to your settings or extensions you may be running.

I just tried installing the portable onto a desktop computer.  However, it doesn't install.  I'm assuming that by 'portable', you must mean 'mobile'.  I also signed out of my account.  However, the problems persists.  I wonder if anyone else who uses Windows XP is experiencing these same issues.  I really would appreciate it if these issues were addressed as I started a thread similar to this thread discussing these same issues I experienced with a previous beta version.  However, no action was apparently taken to resolve these issues.

3 minutes ago, MarkStrobel3367 said:

Thanks.  What is the difference(s) between the desktop and portable version?

Portable version means that you don't have to install software.

Just unzip somewhere and run it. That's all.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.  Unfortunately, I had no choice but to reinstall 4.4.8 because the problems persisted with the portable version as well as the desktop version even when I wasn't signed in to my Maxthon account.  Hopefully, the Maxthon folks will accommodate Windows  XP users.  However, I am not confident that this will occur since Windows XP is being phased out.

Unfortunately for XP users I don't think situations like this are going to get any better. Xp is long past it's use by date. Chrome has also given up on XP and very few programs would be actively pursuing compatibility with an obsolete OS. If you find something working with XP then it's probably best to stick with it.

Option B would be move to an OS that is current and supported.

Archived