Tabs on bottom

jerber

14 minutes ago, jerber said:

I have had the program that has been putting the tabs on the bottom for me. On this latest version this is not working, Is there some way I can get the tabs on the bottom again?

Old skins won't don't work on Mx4.9, but progress is being made with each release. I imagine people will eventually be making new skins with tabs on the bottom.

Edited by PHYR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PHYR said:

Old skins won't don't work on Mx4.9, but progress is being made with each release. I imagine people will eventually be making new skins with tabs on the bottom.

Getting tabs on the bottom is trivial even in 4.9 as it is.  I just moved two lines of code to a different location in one file, layout.htm in 0.dat.  Just move the tabbar code below the page code.  

4.9-Tabs_bottom.thumb.png.707f2467989d07

But there are some side effects I need to correct.

Note I have some more changes in the interface than just moved tabs that you might notice, but they don't affect moving the tabs.

My hint should be good in the meantime for adventurers.

<<SL>>

4 hours ago, PHYR said:

old skins DO work on 4.9 - they may not work in the same way as 4 but its no big deal to get them working - the clue and key to it is in 0.dat - unpack that and thats where to start

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

old skins DO work on 4.9 - they may not work in the same way as 4 but its no big deal to get them working - the clue and key to it is in 0.dat - unpack that and thats where to start

So what you're saying is they need to be modified?

2 minutes ago, PHYR said:

So what you're saying is they need to be modified?

what i am saying is that skins are possible in 4.9 just as they were in the early builds or 4 - the method is the same as was used on 4 in the early days - only the devs can say if they are going to make it easier - if not then no big deal i am sure modified 0.dat files will be published

I tried but gave up my computer skills for programming 40 years ago. I couldn't come close to figuring out what has been suggested. Wish I could But I can't. On top of that I have my windows tab bar hiding until I can use it but with this version I can't open the tab bar. On the bottom of my screen I have Chinese so I have to minimize Maxthon to get to my tab bar.

11 minutes ago, jerber said:

I tried but gave up my computer skills for programming 40 years ago. I couldn't come close to figuring out what has been suggested. Wish I could But I can't. On top of that I have my windows tab bar hiding until I can use it but with this version I can't open the tab bar. On the bottom of my screen I have Chinese so I have to minimize Maxthon to get to my tab bar.

post the skin you use now and i will have look - wont be for a while with the holidays 

2 minutes ago, jerber said:

Tony, I am using the default skin for 4.9. I am not sure what else I could use at this point. Thank you for your time.

understand that - its the skin for 4 that you are using is the one i want you to post - that is the one that has to be ported to 4.9

12 hours ago, Tony said:

what i am saying is that skins are possible in 4.9 just as they were in the early builds or 4 - the method is the same as was used on 4 in the early days - only the devs can say if they are going to make it easier - if not then no big deal i am sure modified 0.dat files will be published

@tony: Have you been able to determine what the order of loading 0.dat and 1.dat is?  I thought I had it figured out until I noticed that only 0.dat has index.htm and layout.htm.  And after examinng layout.htm I am unalbe to identify how the favbar loads.  The only place where the favbar/index.htm is mentioned is in 1.dat/main_solid/layout.htm which would not come into play for the default skin.

So, what is the flow, 0.dat->1.dat or 1.dat->0.dat or "I don't know"?  Thanks ...

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, SnowLeopard said:

@tony: Have you been able to determine what the order of loading 0.dat and 1.dat is?  I thought I had it figured out until I noticed that only 0.dat has index.htm and layout.htm.  And after examinng layout.htm I am unalbe to identify how the favbar loads.  The only place where the favbar/index.htm is mentioned is in 1.dat/main_solid/layout.htm which would not come into play for the default skin.

So, what is the flow, 0.dat->1.dat or 1.dat->0.dat or "I don't know"?  Thanks ...

<<SL>>

dont know is the short answer - further dont know what 1.dat actually does - i deleted the main dir in there and my skin worked apart from a slight graphics error in the main menu - so all i actually have in main in 1.dat is a a couple of files in main menu - that solved the graphics problem 

will leave the above but its not correct - it was on earlier builds but your question just prompted me to try a couple of things

i deleted the files i had left in the main dir in 1.dat and my skin worked fine - not tested more than a quick look and all seems good

so it would seem 1.dat is not for the overlay - there are unique dirs in it other than main so they must be called up - my guess to your question is that 0.dat is the skin itself and 1.dat is the workings of it - messages - about etc

48 minutes ago, Tony said:

dont know is the short answer - further dont know what 1.dat actually does - i deleted the main dir in there and my skin worked apart from a slight graphics error in the main menu - so all i actually have in main in 1.dat is a a couple of files in main menu - that solved the graphics problem 

will leave the above but its not correct - it was on earlier builds but your question just prompted me to try a couple of things

i deleted the files i had left in the main dir in 1.dat and my skin worked fine - not tested more than a quick look and all seems good

so it would seem 1.dat is not for the overlay - there are unique dirs in it other than main so they must be called up - my guess to your question is that 0.dat is the skin itself and 1.dat is the workings of it - messages - about etc

I did a bit of investigating yesterdday and comparing files between 0.dat and 1.dat.  Here's my notes on the findings.

1.  no index.htm, index.css, layout.htm, or layout.css in 1.dat main directory.  0.dat must load first to set up the window.  

2.  tabbar and navbar not present in 1.dat; html structure and style defined in 0.dat

3.  favbar and statusbar have html structure defined in 1.dat but their style in 0.dat

4.  favbar/index.htm is never loaded by 0.dat/main/layout.htm.  There is no such file in 1.dat either.  Don't know how favbar is loaded.

5.  mainmenu has html structure and style defined in 1.dat with more styling but no structure in 0.dat

6.  objects have html structure and style for some defined in 1.dat; one object has strructure and style re-defined and more objects defined and styled in 0.dat

7.  sidebar has html structure and style defined in 1.dat, some structure and more style redefined in 0.dat.  

I'm not sure what that all means or how it may help.  More pondering needed.

<<SL>>

5 minutes ago, SnowLeopard said:

I did a bit of investigating yesterdday and comparing files between 0.dat and 1.dat.  Here's my notes on the findings.

1.  no index.htm, index.css, layout.htm, or layout.css in 1.dat main directory.  0.dat must load first to set up the window.  

2.  tabbar and navbar not present in 1.dat; html structure and style defined in 0.dat

3.  favbar and statusbar have html structure defined in 1.dat but their style in 0.dat

4.  favbar/index.htm is never loaded by 0.dat/main/layout.htm.  There is no such file in 1.dat either.  Don't know how favbar is loaded.

5.  mainmenu has html structure and style defined in 1.dat with more styling but no structure in 0.dat

6.  objects have html structure and style for some defined in 1.dat; one object has strructure and style re-defined and more objects defined and styled in 0.dat

7.  sidebar has html structure and style defined in 1.dat, some structure and more style redefined in 0.dat.  

I'm not sure what that all means or how it may help.  More pondering needed.

<<SL>>

i accept it as it is really - pondering is somewhat pointless as we probably will get no help from the devs - the best we can hope for is to keep trying an mxskin file in maxthon3/skins and hope one works - thats how i remember it on 4 - old skins just started working - no announcement or anything - i dont think skins as you and i understand them are on the roadmap - they just dont seem bothered 

if they dont add full skin support then there will be 0.dat files uploaded i guess just as there were ui.dat files for 4 - someone has decided [at the moment certainly] that the skin they supply is fine - a bit like Microsoft and Windows 10 - themes on that at the moment are hard work

31 minutes ago, jerber said:

Guys I have tried to open the files to see what they say but with my old knowledge I am unsecessful. Can you tell me how to open those files please.

See the information in this link: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/15972-maxthon-34-skin-sdk-v1117-english-version/&do=findComment&comment=86618 pinned at the top of this Skins Forum.

It includes a package of instructions and examples and utilities for packing and unpacking.  And it also has a link to MxPacker 1.0.0.7 which I use for packing and unpacking *.dat, *.mxaddon, and *.mxskin files.  MxPacker seems more convenient for me.   But if you're dealing with an Mx3 skin, you might need the batch unpacking utility for Mx3 in the general package to unpack it.

<<SL>>