v4.9.0.220 portable thoughts and issues

skidude

Installed the above beta and on my XP laptop it does not work as well as the last stable v4.4.8.1000.

1 : First all the quick access buttons had to reload which took ages and several reboots. Some buttons just show the login page unlike before when a snapshot of the site would show. Also one button picture will not load, it is a shortcut to my router login and it just keeps blank with the circular loading icon , if I click the button the router login address is found and I can log in.

2 : There are no configuration options on the status bar ( ip address, download speed, etc).

3 : I use Keepass and Keeform as a login manager for my secure encrypted logins. This no longer works. Usually the browser switches to IE mode and fills the fields for me but it now does not go into Retro mode but enters the search - embedded in Ultra mode.

4 : It just seems slow to do some things, even opening favorites from the side bar is laggy.

5 : Crashes quite often when I open a new tab. A crash report is sent.

6 : When I dual boot into Windows 7 MCB will not open at all I get a message something along the lines ' Cannot write to folder'  with a string of Chinese characters underneath.

I have cleared the cache but all of these problems do not occur in the previous version so I will wait for some improvements before I commit to this upgrade

2 : There are no configuration options on the status bar ( ip address, download speed, etc).

Already noted http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/18235-v4902200-beta-the-first-errors/

4 : It just seems slow to do some things, even opening favorites from the side bar is laggy.

Same for me on Windows 10.

Can you change the background image on New Tab to one of your choice? (Not one of the preinstalled ones).

I installed my Portable version in my normal Maxthon portable version Folder but deleted everything except the User Data folder first.

Only had one crash so far using Portable version but that could be an external USB disk driver problem. (The whole disk needed to be scanned and checked).

14 hours ago, skidude said:

Installed the above beta and on my XP laptop it does not work as well as the last stable v4.4.8.1000.

1 : First all the quick access buttons had to reload which took ages and several reboots. Some buttons just show the login page unlike before when a snapshot of the site would show. Also one button picture will not load, it is a shortcut to my router login and it just keeps blank with the circular loading icon , if I click the button the router login address is found and I can log in.

3 : I use Keepass and Keeform as a login manager for my secure encrypted logins. This no longer works. Usually the browser switches to IE mode and fills the fields for me but it now does not go into Retro mode but enters the search - embedded in Ultra mode.

6 : When I dual boot into Windows 7 MCB will not open at all I get a message something along the lines ' Cannot write to folder'  with a string of Chinese characters underneath.

I have cleared the cache but all of these problems do not occur in the previous version so I will wait for some improvements before I commit to this upgrade

I'm running the portable version on Win 7 64-bit with no problems.

1.  Quick Access took some time to fill in the buttons on the first run.  After that they are instantaneous.  I use screen shots not titles for the tiles.  Using titles would be faster on the first run, but I prefer the screen shots ... they are more distinctive.

2.  Agree.  That feature has been removed.  But not sure if it is temporary or permanent.

3.  No experience here.

4. Like Quick Access this seems to be a first-time thing.  I notice the delay the first time I open sidebar favorites, but not on subsequent opens.   However, I don't use the sidebar favorites very much; I use the navbar favorites icon instead.

5.  Extremely rare crashes; can't recall the last time.

6.  No experience with this.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, Magdalene said:

installed my Portable version in my normal Maxthon portable version Folder but deleted everything except the User Data folder first.

Only had one crash so far using Portable version but that could be an external USB disk driver problem. (The whole disk needed to be scanned and checked).

Was your prior portable version from the 4.9 branch or from 4.4.8 branch?  I'm asking because I want to understand better a failure I had the other day.

<<SL>>

10 hours ago, skidude said:

1. Please send us your appdata file to have a look.

2. This has been removed at the moment. It will be discussed before before it can be added back 

3.Never tried this before, we will check it out.

4. It is happening occasionally . To be investigated

5. We will check your crash report

6.May we see the screenshot of that notification?

4 hours ago, Magdalene said:

It was a 4.9 installed into a 4.4.8.

Thanks.  I tried it your way again and so far so good.  BTW, concerning your question about choosing a QA background image of my choice, I was able to do that.  Though choosing my avatar seems to be stretching things a bit much ... blurry image stretched so far.

<<SL>>

• 4 months later...

I have just installed current version : 4.9.0.3000 and my previous complaint above : 

" 3 : I use Keepass and Keeform as a login manager for my secure encrypted logins. This no longer works. Usually the browser switches to IE mode and fills the fields for me but it now does not go into Retro mode but enters the search - embedded in Ultra mode. "

Still does not work for me. It has always worked up to my current in use version 4.4.8.1000.

Is there any chance this can be fixed please. I like progress but not when it breaks things which have worked for years.

M4.4.8 switches to IE mode? I don't think it does by itself( although there was once a compatibility mode with this happening on certain sites). Have you tried switching to IE mode manually before trying keypass and keeform? Maybe you had done this in 4.4.8?  Maxthon will remember the mode of the last tab closed of any given site. Try opening a single tab of a site, switch mode and close and then try again. I don't remember if Mode settings  are synced.

On Tue Apr 26 2016 07:40:01 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight, PHYR said:

M4.4.8 switches to IE mode? I don't think it does by itself( although there was once a compatibility mode with this happening on certain sites). Have you tried switching to IE mode manually before trying keypass and keeform? Maybe you had done this in 4.4.8?  Maxthon will remember the mode of the last tab closed of any given site. Try opening a single tab of a site, switch mode and close and then try again. I don't remember if Mode settings  are synced.

That is not the issue. Switching to IE mode always happens when using Keeform/Keepass password manager when it works. 

The issue is that with the current MCB versions this functionality is broken and I would like it back as I am still having to use v4.4.8.1000. 

Archived