How to disable PDF plugin?

minimax

I searched for this on the forum but oddly nothing came up.

I want to disable the built-in PDF reader. I.e. when I click a link to a PDF I always want the Open/Save box to come up, so that I can open it in my dedicated reader (PDF-Xchange).

In PDF-Xchange preferences, under File Associations, the option "Display PDF in browser" is unticked. (But for some reason the whole option is greyed out and I couldn't tick it if I wanted to.)

Thank you.

1 hour ago, minimax said:

I searched for this on the forum but oddly nothing came up. I want to disable the built-in PDF reader. I.e. when I click a link to a PDF I always want the Open/Save box to come up, so that I can open it in my dedicated reader (PDF-Xchange). In PDF-Xchange preferences, under File Associations, the option "Display PDF in browser" is unticked. (But for some reason the whole option is greyed out and I couldn't tick it if I wanted to). Thank you.

I think you can only disable all plugins in Menu → Settings → Advanced → Content Control or just remove or rename pdf.dll in Maxthon\Core\Webkit
Maybe it works, maybe not...

7 hours ago, A.S. said:

I think you can only disable all plugins in Menu → Settings → Advanced → Content Control

This will also disable Flash and any other plugins running.

7 hours ago, A.S. said:

remove or rename pdf.dll in Maxthon\Core\Webkit

This is a better and recommended option.

An option in settings would be nice for things like this...

16 minutes ago, shrey said:

Click the menu button and choose Preferences. Find Portable Document Format in the list and click on it to select it. Click on the drop-down arrow in the Action column for the above entry and select the PDF viewer you wish to use.

Which program are you referring to? This doesn't look like it applies to Maxthon or PDF-Xchange. .pdf files are already associated with PDF Xchange in Windows.

I'm using Maxthon 4 on Windows 7.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bkmtech said:

Has this been fixed yet.   I think the fact that we even have a topic devoted to something as simple as wanting to view a pdf file in its native application so we have ""FULL FUNCTIONALITY AT ALL TIMES"" is an example of why I sometimes hate software developers, as well as the influence Adobe has, which is undeserved.

I wont even use Adobe products unless I have to, and there are better free readers than Adobe anyway.

Bit I digress, I just want a verifiable way to get a PDF file to open in its native application so I have ""FULL FUNCTIONALITY AT ALL TIMES""

Warning, I will be an ________ if this gets ignored any longer.

Brian K Mcclung

BKM Engineering

Windows 7, Maxthon v4.4.7.3500

read this and next time don't post 3 times the same thing in 3 different places

ps : threatening isn't the best way to get something from devs. 

sigmax2.png

Archived