Initial loading time...

Hello,

This is not so much of a problem as it is a question regarding a possible problem. Does the fact that my condig.dat weights 3.27 MB have anything to do with the fact that Maxthon takes (usually) between 5 and 15 minutes to be able to load a page, just after starting it? After that it works fine, but I can open as many tabs as I like and refresh the about:last, but all the pages will keep loading and do nothing for a few minutes, after which they will load normally.

Have a good day!

Hi,

Effectively big size for the config.dat, currently mine is under 100 Ko! Since when have you performed a clean install, and what is your version used?

105kb here as well. Clearly there's something not right there. Whether it affects the loading as mentioned I can't say for sure.

If you feel there is nothing wrong, then you could just leave it be. But I don't think it can hurt to delete it and have a new one created. You will lose some settings, but there shouldn't be anything that can't be reset. Keep a backup of course, just in case.

The 5-15mins is definitely not normal.

If you are on win7 or 8 it might be because windows is storing restore points. You can delete older restore points of Maxthon to reduce the size of certain folders. But I'm not sure config dat is one of the folders affected by this feature.

Thanks! I will try a clean install. I am using the portable version on Win7 x64, and I keep it updated to the last available version, by the way. And to update it I just dragged the files of the new versions over the existing files, so this might also be part of the problem. Is maxthon keeping restore points, or just the windows? Too bad there isn't any way to export only parts of the config, and I mean more than just the bookmarks. Even if the settings would be in plain text...

And to update it I just dragged the files of the new versions over the existing files, so this might also be part of the problem. Too bad there isn't any way to export only parts of the config, and I mean more than just the bookmarks. Even if the settings would be in plain text...

I wouldn't read too much into the copying over files. While that could be an issue and a clean install would be recommended, i've been copying userdata since forever and have never had any major issues like that. I actually can't recall the last time I had to completely reset all of my config options.

An option to export settings would be nice, but I guess it's seen as not important as they want you to use the cloud and everything just works.

By the way, how oculd I manually backup the addons installed? Or is that, also, in the UserData folder?

(Also, the strangest thing that happened in a while is Maxthon starting to use up a lot of processing power... I'm not sure, but I think it might be because of the last update... or because I manually added NPSWF32_17_0_0_188.dll in the Core/Npplugins... removed it a moment ago to see if there is any difference... and it looks like that was the problem... NPSWF32_16_0_0_235.dll is the previous version, which seems to work just right.)

The only thing I care about is the "Last Session" list, which is huge in my case...Using page-down and counting how many sites are on a screen, I found out I have 5720 pages in that list. And I don't want to lose any.

Seems like a very odd way keep a favourites list... and dangerous should they disappear all of a sudden. At least with favourites there is a back up kept, so even if the current list is lost, you still should have one from the past 1 or 2 days. Does make me question why the same isn't done for last tabs.

By the way, how oculd I manually backup the addons installed? Or is that, also, in the UserData folder?(Also, the strangest thing that happened in a while is Maxthon starting to use up a lot of processing power... I'm not sure, but I think it might be because of the last update... or because I manually added NPSWF32_17_0_0_188.dll in the Core/Npplugins... removed it a moment ago to see if there is any difference... and it looks like that was the problem... NPSWF32_16_0_0_235.dll is the previous version, which seems to work just right.)

Copy the addons folder from Userdata.

I had strange issue with playing a flash video the other day as well. Also on that same version. Could be related to that particular update... but everything seems to be stable now.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a very odd way keep a favourites list... and dangerous should they disappear all of a sudden. At least with favourites there is a back up kept, so even if the current list is lost, you still should have one from the past 1 or 2 days. Does make me question why the same isn't done for last tabs.

Copy the addons folder from Userdata.

I had strange issue with playing a flash video the other day as well. Also on that same version. Could be related to that particular update... but everything seems to be stable now.

Thanks!

For backing up the last session I use AutoVer, for versioning the config file, the history folder and 1-2 more files/folders... but there is still no way to import or export the Last Session links... sadly... I'd like to see a tirth party program doing that... since it's unlikely the browser itself will contain something like that, like ever... I mean, there are a lot of requests to bring such features back which have been denied over and over again... so... yeah, that's that...

Maxthon restores addons when you sign into your account. You can do a clean install and simply sign to retrieve all your addons or install on a new pc and sign in to restore most of your settings. Those that aren't saved are those that would be specific to that pc, like monitor size, so zoom isn't remembered.

If you are doing a clean install it could take a considerable amount of time to load all your addons, and especially Quick Access thumbs if you're using screen shot instead of website title.

• 4 weeks later...

Maxthon restores addons when you sign into your account. You can do a clean install and simply sign to retrieve all your addons or install on a new pc and sign in to restore most of your settings. Those that aren't saved are those that would be specific to that pc, like monitor size, so zoom isn't remembered.

If you are doing a clean install it could take a considerable amount of time to load all your addons, and especially Quick Access thumbs if you're using screen shot instead of website title.

I am not currently logged in, but using the portable version with a guest account. Would copying the current session folder over the logged in folder save everything to the cloud? I have a lot of stuff in the browser and I don't want to lose it all...

I'm pretty sure you can't update anything locally when using a passport account. If you do, it just gets updated again by the cloud version. Any changes need to be done within the browser.

Only thing I can suggest is exporting your favourites from the guest account, then importing them when signed into your passport account. As far as any other data like QA, last session, I think you're out of luck. Only option for last session would be to open them in tabs, then save those tabs as a fav folder. Export then import to passport.

If you have a lot listed in last session, you can try going offline first, then open all the tabs, save as favs, export. This will stop the browser trying to open them all, but the URLs should still be saved to favs.

Do the same again when adding them back to your passport last session.

Just a theory mind you, haven't tested, but makes sense in my head.

They should add a "import local account" to the passport site... or a merge-thingy...

You can already import a local account to a passport? Main Menu > Tools > Import/Export user data > Import data > Maxthon Local account.

Not sure exactly what it imports though.

Archived