Nitro isn't customizable

I've been using Maxthon since the MYIE2 days, and I'm also a beta tester for Nitro, but sadly, Nitro is the first version I'll probably skip completely (although I love Maxthon), and go for either Firefox (if I want to upgrade), or Maxthon4. Here's why:

- no customizability. Speed is very important, but not at the cost of what made me use Maxthon in the first place.

- no quick access page. The address bar dropdown isn't customizable

- UI is OK, but worse than Maxthon4. Minimize/close buttons are too hidden. Forward button is too hidden. Slashed design and color scheme are not to everyone's taste. All f6f6f6 is better than the blue.

- no ad hunter

- overall, the non-customizability will alienate advanced users and turn Maxthon into a "newbie" browser. There may be a market niche for speed and simplicity, but overall, I think most users prefer a balance between speed and power.

you missed something- from the very beginning it was announced as a Nitro will be fast browser, without unnecessary elements such as extensions, stripped down from more advanced options. Simple fast tool for browsing the web, checking email,chat with your friends etc.

Being a main browser- that is not the task of Nitro if you want the same things as other browsers have.

For more advanced operations you can use Maxthon 4.

magg replied at 2015-2-19 07:03 back.gif

you missed something- from the very beginning it was announced as a Nitro will be fast browser, wit ...

The trouble with that is that there won't be a true Maxthon 5 (or 6) anytime soon. And upgrades for version 4 will be nothing thrilling, as with v3, because it's a secondary release (not the main focus of the developers' time).

From the very beginning, it was announced that Nitro will be a fast browser, without unnecessary elements such as extensions, stripped down from more advanced options.
A Simple fast tool for browsing the web, checking email,chat with your friends, etc.

Being a main browser- thats not the task of Nitro, if you want the same things as other browsers have. For more advanced operations etc., you can use Maxthon v.4.4.5.1000
            But a little Custom to the Nitro Browser can be done...
  1.) The Forward button only shows up when needed. (in Nitro v.1.1.0.800 also have History working now = clock symbol in upper right corner)
post-327978-0-23399100-1432464884_thumb.
  2.) And the dropdown address bar is customizable, as you can see. ( Mouse over and press the )
Just don't use the "Clear browser data..." in the Nitro browser.
  3.) Use CCleaner (Free) to clean up instead.  Just like this :
• Under Options > Include > Include Drive or Folder > and copy the path in > C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\mxnitro\UserData\Cache\
and put a mark in All Files and under Options set it to Include files only
Then :
• Under Exclude > File > exclude these 5 files
data_0
data_1
data_2
data_3
index
So it looks like this in CCleaner for the five files, you need to save. >  C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\mxnitro\UserData\Cache\data_0
post-327978-0-62535000-1432464933_thumb.
This way your Nitro Browser is cleaned and your Custom Dropdown address bar, will be safe & stay.  Every time you run CCleaner, to clean up in your PC.
  4.) Remember to Update your Flash Player in Nitro...
[Nitro Issue] Adobe flash player - MX-Labs - Maxthon Community 
Hope it helps a Bit or a Byte more... :wink:
Best Regards Ohke

Chickity China the Chinese chicken,
Have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'.
You Have ??

Edited by ~Ohke

• 2 weeks later...

@odyssee, it's a prophecy, mark my words! :D

I'm kidding, of course, but I really don't see how they'll juggle Maxthon 4, MX Nitro, and a fifth version. Too much effort will be spent into Nitro, not many people will use it, because they expected a full-featured, fast browser. I hope I'm just being a doomsday sayer, but the MX team have always had 2 main versions to develop simultaneously, so I doubt there will be a full-featured MX5 any time soon.

but sadly, Nitro is the first version I'll probably skip completelyand go for either Firefox (if I want to upgrade), or Maxthon4. Here's why:And that is your mistake making out like Nitro is a replacement for MX, it's not and was never intended to be. If you want all the bells and whistles of an MX4 or FireFox then that is what you should use. If you just want a quick browser with some basic features then Nitro is possibly an option.

but I really don't see how they'll juggle Maxthon 4, MX Nitro, and a fifth version. They wouldn't. MX4 support would be dropped (apart from maybe some bugfixes), otherwise focus would be on Nitro and MX5. So really nothing would change.

I don't know if the marketing isn't right or people just don't read or comprehend, but there have been so many posts making out like Nitro is the successor to Maxthon 4. That was never the case, as it was always intended to be another option with a different focus. Just because people can't make that distinction I don't see why Nitro should always be looked down upon. I'm no proponent of Nitro, but clearly Maxthon thought there was a need for it and built it.

7twenty replied at 2015-3-4 20:33 back.gif

And that is your mistake making out like Nitro is a replacement for MX, it's not and was never inten ...

I agree. Anyone who likes MX4 or Firefox probably likes them because of all the features and customization. Most people on this forum are like that, because they've already chosen MX4. So they are unlikely to like Nitro, which has completely the opposite philosophy. But other people out there, who might be using IE or Chrome (most people don't have any extensions), will love Nitro.

• 2 weeks later...

7twenty replied at 2015-3-4 20:33 back.gif

And that is your mistake making out like Nitro is a replacement for MX, it's not and was never inten ...

Except, Maxthon 4 came out in 2012 and there still isn't a Maxthon 5. M4 is still great, but it lags behind in many areas. This is just my personal opinion, but the development resources would be better spent on a true browser, rather than a "simple fast tool for browsing".

• 2 weeks later...

I used MaxThon quite a bit back in the 2.x days. I was sorry to see the extension signing decimate the extension community. I see FF is about to go down the same dead end. But to MxNitro, I can grok the lean for speed thing, but isn't it going a bit too far when you can't even mount a favorites toolbar? I have all folders for favorites or bookmarks toolbar and clicking the extra menu button to get at them defeats the whole purpose.

I'm hoping pressure will mount to add some customization options.

For example kmeleon does not have all the FF functionality but at least I can add a bookmarks toolbar. It is still light and quick to open compared to FF.

I hope some common sense will prevail. Especially since if FF goes the extension signature route I'm going to be looking for another main browser yet again.

• 3 weeks later...