This version of Chrome is no longer supported.

Maxthon Version 1.0.5.3 for linux.

All google web services report in a yellow bar:

"This version of Chrome is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser. Dismiss"

On gmail, google drive etc.

Screenshot:

0743298ttiwozotu9t3ett.png

I'm aware of a workaround by tweaking the useragent, but a proper solution would be better.

(There was another thread with this problem but it was marked as solved too early and without a solution).

Mozilla/5.0 Mozilla version 5.0 Originally indicated the Netscape web browser, now a generic term which most modern browsers use

X11 X11

Linux x86_64 Linux version x86_64

Linux Mint 17 Qiana Linux version Mint 17 Qiana

AppleWebKit/537.36 AppleWebKit version 537.36

KHTML, like Gecko KHTML, like Gecko

Chrome/33.0.1750.0 Maxthon/1.0.5.3 Safari/537.36 Chrome version 33.0.1750.0 Maxthon/1.0.5.3 Safari/537.36

Works fine for me using the standard UA for the WinPC version and also if changed to the Linux UA as noted above.

So seems to me they're using another form of detection, which would make more sense.

On the other hand if the UA change does work for you I can't see any reason why you shouldn't use it. If anything it should make the browser more compatible across sites leading to less issues like this.

• 4 weeks later...

CarbonPepper replied at 2015-1-20 23:43 back.gif

I'm a big believer in fixing things at source

"if the UA change does work for you I can't see an ...

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand your hesitation to use the UA change as described assuming it works for you.

Even if Maxthon did update the Linux version today, if they don't change the codebase to a higher version of Blink then the UA won't change as the whole purpose of the UA is to tell sites the general capabilities of the browser. As standard the browser should not be faking these details. But if you want to change/update them than that is a possibility.