Chrome extension support

lukoie

• 5 weeks later...

The browsers should have their own unique extensions, I wouldn't suggest mixing them - unless they are very simple and completely avoid using the browser. That's unlikely. And since even browsers with the same core are very different, you would keep running into incompatibilities all the time. Even a few updates to the same browser can make an extension act up. This needs individual fine-tuning which you cannot supply in some universal way that would convert extensions... it won't be much reliable at least.

And finally - Pardon me, but what exactly is so great about Chrome extensions...? I certainly don't miss them at all.

ElDoRado1239 replied at 2014-11-19 03:08 back.gifbut what exactly is so great about Chrome extensions...? I certainly don't miss them at all.There's nothing great about them, it's just that there are lots of them. And that's only because it's the most used browser in the world so naturally more people create them for it.

While Chrome might have several extensions in each category, Maxthon doesn't have one in some - most notably, no AdBlock which users have been asking for a long time, and VPN extensions, like Hola.

If Maxthon had at least one working extension in each major category then there wouldn't really be a reason to complain. Things are happening with AdBlock, and if only Hola would jump on board there wouldn't be too many major missing extensions.

7twenty replied at 2014-11-18 14:51 back.gif

There's nothing great about them, it's just that there are lots of them. And that's only because it' ...

Because Chrome is popular - there many useful extensions already debugged and working pretty well.

- many very good extensions for gmail!

- http debuggers

- odata layers

- google inbox !

- CHROME REMOTE DESKTOP !!!

The reason for Maxthon's decision implement 2 engines (webkit & ie) was (imho) ... the popularity and stability of webkit. (Why not to develop Maxthon engine? Because it's excessively. Same thing with extensions).

So why not to get to your users additional tools that already works well...

Maxthon always was best UI experience for popular engines.

..even Opera closed their engine and implements UI for chromium with extensions because they know what most of people wants - best UI and ability to use popular extensions from chrome.

I'm web developer. Maxthon is my main browser since 2005.

But I'm always working with gmail (my business in google apps) and I missing many extensions that can help me with productivity and today I'm on junction: I'm hate chrome (bad UI experience) but Maxhton hasn't enough extensions.

Why you need developing extensions for Maxthon only? There is 2014 year. All cellular frameworks already dead (in past each provider has each own framework for apps and we know that was bad). Solution was ... html5. In browser's area solution should be ... universal extensions (ok, chrome api and extensions is a much better than Maxthon, but it's ok. Maxthon will not win this war of extension, but win in UI experience. So last missing thing in Maxthon (for saying it's a best browser on net) is a giving ability of using popular extension's framework.

You can create poll for users and ask them if they want chrome extensions in MX (as you did when started with MX Nitro in this spring). IMHO every advanced Maxthon user will thank you if it will be implemented.

There's no need to create a poll. I can guarantee the majority will want it. The question is how to do it.

The current system isn't in a position where you can just flick a switch and make them work. They can go to being a Chromium clone like Opera, Nitro etc. which would make it easier as the base code is there, but then you potentially lose features of Maxthon as it is now.

To want something and to want something reasonable are two completely different things. And this sounds to me like asking for a PC game to work on all the consoles as well without porting. Which isn't a tough process for some silly reason, it's complicated.

IMHO, the best solution for this would be a simple list of the very best extensions Maxthon could actually use for its own benefit and porting them, manually.

P.S. It would be really sad if Maxthon changed itself just for the sake of a few extensions. Luckily, I don't see that happening.

7twenty replied at 2014-11-19 12:38 back.gif

There's no need to create a poll. I can guarantee the majority will want it. The question is how to ...

I believe MX Team can do same perfect work with chromium like with webkit (chromium is an open source so you can do same changes like in webkit)

You would seriously expect (or even want) Maxthon to change engine just because a few "silly" extensions...?

Sorry for being kinda negative here, but I just can't grasp this. Chrome is a memory eater and crashes much more than Maxthon - why would we want Maxthon browser to be similar to Chrome...? I'm a developer and I sometimes have to use Chrome - if I learned something about it, it's that I would never switch to it fulltime.

Yes, Webkit is of course superior to Trident - and I do believe that it's better in more ways than just stability. And I know that Maxthon doesn't have its own engine, which would be even counterproductive - the more the "internet" is standardised, the better, so using a major open-source engine is a very good thing.

But right now, Maxthon is more stable than Chrome. At least for me. So I don't believe Chrome's version of the engine is better than what Maxthon uses.

Like I say - why not building a "Top10" list of extensions the community would really love to have. I am sure some extension coders would "take the bait". :)

And why to expect people will build duplicated extension..Why not? They still make ones for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and before the change to Chromium, Opera versions.

Maxthon's issue is that it's relatively unknown and therefore people just don't feel the need to create another extension for such a small market. That in itself is a great reason for the MX team to incorporate the use of Chrome extensions, but as of now that isn't happening.

Ideally everyone would use the same extension format, but that isn't the case right now. The way I understand it MX as it stands now can't and won't be updating it's extension implementation without some major changes. If they do decide to go to being a Chromium clone in future versions (and I sincerely hope that isn't the case) then many peoples wishes may come true.

A remote desktop extension would be another one of the main ones where there isn't one for Maxthon.

• 2 years later...