"Last Session" deleted without warning...

Sapioit_

puf_the_majic_dragon replied at 2014-11-11 13:56

I've had the same issue, the last session getting deleted randomly. I'm very careful about how I clo ...

Lately I found why the session keeps being deleted: If one tries to close one of the Maxthon's processes, there is a chance that process' job was to save the last session.

Also, after closing Maxthon, the config.dat haves the last session list emptied, probably because it is deleted before the new list of the last session links is made. So it looks like it's a problem of design.

One trick which looks like working is to have either Task Manager or a similar program (I use both Process Explorer and Process Hacker, because sometimes one of the two freezes, and one of them takes a lot less to be launched in startup) to check if after closing maxthon there is any maxthon's process left opened. If there is, just open Maxthon and close it untill there is no process left 1 minute after you closed Maxthon.

In my oppinion, this is a problem of code design. Somehow, there are some things left to be done after Maxthon's window(s) is(are) closed.

Workaround or possible fix, from the middle of the comment!

Yet it happened again. Why don't Maxthon modifies the function to first copy "Last Session" to "Earlier Session" THAN do what it haves to do with the current session. This way, the loss won't be as big, as we will still be able to copy the links in notepad and open them one by one than closing and reopening Maxthon untill everything is up to what it was last time. Also, a button to switch the content of Last Session and Earlier Session would or to copy from one side to the other would be a lot of help. You could simply add tiny iconic buttons on both sides of the buttons, so you'd have or anything really, as long as it works!

I have only once or twice found alything in the Last Session, and it happened BY ACCIDENT. No idea how stuff gets there, but I think the browser is measing few lines of code here and there...

Not everyone wants to be dependent on the internet or link maxthon to their account, you know?

Edit: Looks like AutoVer + WinMerge would do a good job, but I only found them (the first one required the second one to work) after I lost my Last Session list... it was overwrited by the last tabs I had open when closed the browser... but nothing is in the Earlier Session... and it never was, except two accidents...

Edit2: So far, so good. It's verry promissing... and FTP can be used as well as (the default) folder backup (no single file, but still verry good) and either doing nothing, deleting, .zip-ing or .7z-ing the files older than a modifiable ammount of days (default 90 days), create initial backup and a lot of more usefull things.

By the way... "© 2001-2012 Comsenz Inc." in 2014, when 2015 is (about) 38 days away?

Edit: I hope the AutoVer + WinMerge "unofficial patch" helps somebody...

• 1 month later...

I experienced the same lately: when restarting maxthon no last sessions available all of a sudden. I then did a clean install and tested: last session appearing as normal. Then i copied the user-data folder in the new installation directory: all went fine. Then i opened all tabs i remembered from the history and BINGO: after closing maxthon and restarting it the last sessions were again gone.

Then in opened the tabs again one by one and closing and starting maxthon, there is where i found this site to be the culprit:

https://www.salusi.nl/tinnitus-behandeling-oorsuizen-genezen/

Every time i close maxthon with this site and starting maxthon again the last sessions where again gone.

How can this be?

BTW Happy new year everyone

Are you sure a site is the culpit? I usually have my session overwrited with the last tabs I had lastly opened. Which are around 5-10 compared with the 200+ I have saved as the last sesion. And I just restore the last session and than add the other sites again, and it works...

• 4 months later...

........ Then in opened the tabs again one by one and closing and starting maxthon, there is where i found this site to be the culprit:

https://www.salusi.nl/tinnitus-behandeling-oorsuizen-genezen/

Every time i close maxthon with this site and starting maxthon again the last sessions where again gone.

How can this be?

Actually thats true, that site IS a culprit, for not showing Last Session at all... Strange error, one I never have see before...Maybe it's because all those Insecure content there is on that Web Site.??

post-327978-0-54605500-1432226704_thumb.

Can ONLY get them back (the Last Session) via the round arrow or Alt+Z (see Photo) Had 3 Web pages on Mx, with restart = NO Last Session, like it use to do...

( never have no mark in Auto clear on exit - same goes for Delete Cookies ) Always use the CCleaner, for Clean ups in my Browsers, not with restart of Mx browser...

post-327978-0-28413200-1432226759_thumb.

Hope this can help some one, to figure this strange head scratching error out.?? Because I can't... (^^,)

@ For SapioiT - I can recommend a Clean Install of your Mx Browser, use Revo Uninstaler for this, as it's also cleans up in the registry (in a safe way).

But remember to Backup your Mx Files and Folders (also them in the AppData Folder >  C:\Users\*User Name*\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3 ).

Revo Uninstaller - Free or Pro, just as good. - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

But wait a Bit (I'm not typing fast and need to translate to), I think it's better to help you via this Tread (your Post)... (^^,)

[WinPC Issue] Initial loading time... - General Discussion - Maxthon Community

@Thanks 7twenty for help deleting that to large help post. :thumbsup:  SapioiT can find it in my profile if needed.

@ And thanks to 7twenty, for a very good tip, with using the Ctrl+Shift+D Key-combo, nice little trick... For saving several Bookmarks, in one go... 

Best Regards Ohke

Edited by ~Ohke

Hi,

Thanks for your response. You better to make sure/ clear last session /option is not ticked

It's not related to that, as I don't have that checked. When I tested, that site was one of the tabs when closing MX and the next start the last session list was empty.

Going to do some more testing later on. But I'd recommend doing that test yourself, just do it on a test install or portable version so you don't have to try and get back any lost items on that list

• Like 1

I can't confirm this 100% (i'm 99% though), but it looks to possibly be related to a "special" character in the title of the site listed.

When you use the "Copy title and URL" option you get the following when pasting into Notepad.

post-6742-0-91587900-1432299521_thumb.pn

A quick search shows that it's a Unicode line separator character. So it looks like Maxthon has issues with this character when it shows up in it's data files for save data (at least for last session, as history has no problems).

So until Maxthon allow support, or find a way to remove it automatically from any titles saved, it's always going to happen.

• Like 1