• Search via Strg+F very often leads to a crash

Burn2

Hi Maxthon Team,

meanwhile I use Maxthon version 4.9.3.400 but since some versions I have a general problem using the build in search function (via Strg+F) to find words within the openend web page. Maxthon has usually some tabs open and I'm not sure if it is related to the web page itself or to using more then one opened tab when starting the search function. There was no fix for the last versions and so I decieded to open a bug here. Maxthon is installed under Windows 10.

Best Regards from Germany,

Bjoern

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hello, Burn. "Find in Page" function only search words in current webpage.

On 2016/5/29 at 10:19 PM, Burn2 said:

One more information, Maxthon starts to hang after entering the first character to search for.

what's kind of hang? nothing happen or given some notification?

I know it only searches on the current webpage. But it happens very often when I press STRG+F, the search box opens and after I start typing the first character Windows tells me that Maxthon doesn't work anymore and needs to be closed/restarted. The search box gets a black frame than.
    I just tried to reproduce it and attached some crash data.

1464817330.zip

Maxthon Crash.png

Edited by Burn2
    Added crash data after reproducing the problem

4 hours ago, Burn2 said:

I know it only searches on the current webpage. But it happens very often when I press STRG+F, the search box opens and after I start typing the first character Windows tells me that Maxthon doesn't work anymore and needs to be closed/restarted. The search box gets a black frame than.
    I just tried to reproduce it and attached some crash data.

1464817330.zip

Maxthon Crash.png

I see. maybe the cache is full. Try clear it follow the below picture, please.

QQ截图20160602103111.jpg

QQ截图20160602103136.jpg

Can't confirm that issue here.

Is this repeatable in that it happens every single time? or just randomly?

Try extracting the portable version and see if the same happens on the same sites that it has happened on before.

Depending on the outcome of that we can't figure out which way to look for more info.

It happens randomly. I could only see that Maxthon reserved more than one GB of RAM last time it crashed. In my opinion it happens if many tabs with complex web pages are open. I also let Maxthon running for a long time and just send my notebook to standby. I can add more existing crash dumps if needed or configure an local user dump in Windows. For now I just cleared the cached data.

8 hours ago, Burn2 said:

It happens randomly. I could only see that Maxthon reserved more than one GB of RAM last time it crashed. In my opinion it happens if many tabs with complex web pages are open. I also let Maxthon running for a long time and just send my notebook to standby. I can add more existing crash dumps if needed or configure an local user dump in Windows. For now I just cleared the cached data.

I know it may sound weird, but could it be somehow related to language files ? (I see your maxton is german)

17 hours ago, -ody- said:

but could it be somehow related to language files ?

Which is why testing on a clean portable version should point out if it's something in the userdata, rather than Maxthon.

Just updated to v4.9.3.1000 and after a while the search box made Maxthon crash again (Search worked on all pages in the beginning). I had about 10 open tabs and found one Maxthon process without handles after it happend. I made a complete dump but even zipped it's 201MB in size and to big to attach here. But for now I can say it wasn't related  to the browser cache. That I cleard last time. I attached the new Maxthon crash report.

1465025425.zip

Report.wer

Can you please check with the portable version as noted above.

The crash report shows at least 20 extensions running (i'm unable to confirm how many are default though). But until you can confirm it's something that maxthon is causing, and not an extension or site, then it's hard to offer anything more.

On 2016/6/4 at 3:45 PM, Burn2 said:

Just updated to v4.9.3.1000 and after a while the search box made Maxthon crash again (Search worked on all pages in the beginning). I had about 10 open tabs and found one Maxthon process without handles after it happend. I made a complete dump but even zipped it's 201MB in size and to big to attach here. But for now I can say it wasn't related  to the browser cache. That I cleard last time. I attached the new Maxthon crash report.

1465025425.zip

Report.wer

hello, burn2. Please go to this path: C:\Users\Edison\AppData\Local\Temp\MaxthonCrashData

please send me all files in MaxthonCrashData.

Strange, the portable version doesn't seem to have the sporadic search problem. So I disabled any additional extension inside the installed version to make sure there is no side effect but it did't make a difference so far. I attached all crash dumps happend this year.

MaxthonCrashData.zip

28 minutes ago, Burn2 said:

the portable version doesn't seem to have the sporadic search problem

More than likely settings then.

The most recent crashreport seems to still show a number of extensions. I'm not sure if the report just shows extensions installed, or if it's active ones.

I don't think this will help, but can't hurt to try... delete the config.ini file in UserData\Temp\FindInPage

It's the only settings option that's directly related to find, but doesn't mean it's not something else.

Depending on the outcome of the above, there are other options to test, but will take some of your time if you want to go down that path.

8 hours ago, Burn2 said:

Hmm, there is no file in C:\Users\Bjoern\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Temp\FindInPage

I attached screenshots of the Maxthon addons installed and which are activated.

Not a big deal. As i said, i don't think it's related to that as it's only the data for where the box gets displayed.

I don't have any crashreports of my own to check with to see how the extension list in the crashfile relates to the extensions installed/running. So bit of a dead end there.

Firstly, create a backup of your current Maxthon data before doing anything mentioned next.

If you want you can try the following, not sure if it will still work if you use a passport account (as the syncing might screw things up), but shouldn't be an issue for a local only account. Just something to be aware of.

Test the settings theory by copying over your current Maxthon userdata folder to the MX portable folder. If the crash then happens running portable then we know for sure it's settings related.

From there extract a new portable version, then copy over one folder at a time from the crashing install userdata. Do some testing in between each copy, then when the crash occurs the last folder copied should be the one containing the data causing it.

Or you can do a few folders at a time. Depending on how thorough and how much back tracking you're prepared to do.

Once you find the offending folder you can just replace the dodgy folder/file in your current install.

Unfortunately it's the only way I can think off (still assuming it's settings related) to track down the problem - and not guaranteed. But seeing as portable worked, i think this will lead to the cause.

The crashdata reports don't mean much to me, apart from what i've noted above.

Option B is wait and maybe a bugsir/miss might be able to offer some insight if someone looks into it.

Personally i'd go with option A :)

At the moment I cannot reproduce it anymore but I don't know why. I didn't change somthing I'm aware of. Only a Windows 10 update took place.

That message was to early, it just took a quite long time this time :-( 

Edited by Burn2

my system is win10, too. but can't duplicate this issue.

I already sent the crash.zip to tester team. They will view and try to figure out the reason.

Personally, I suggest you have a try: 1. go to this folder C:\Users\dusx\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users

2. rename the "Users" folder. for example, rename it as "Users1"

3. restart the browser and have a try.

4. please tell me the result.

Meanwhile I removed all settings and plugins and started from scratch. So far it looks good. Maybe really a plugin caused that trouble, even I disabled all of them, except the build in ones. Or it is related to the Maxthon upgrade history since I use that browser for a very long time already. As next step I'll start enabling the 4 additional plugins again to verify them.

Edit:

Hmm, while installing the previously saved plugins again I found twice a Maxthon search plugin v1.2.4 but with different size and file name under ...\Maxthon3\Users\guest\Addons Maybe that was the problem.

Edited by Burn2

50 minutes ago, Burn2 said:

Meanwhile I removed all settings and plugins and started from scratch. So far it looks good. Maybe really a plugin caused that trouble, even I disabled all of them, except the build in ones. Or it is related to the Maxthon upgrade history since I use that browser for a very long time already. As next step I'll start enabling the 4 additional plugins again to verify them.

Edit:

Hmm, while installing the previously saved plugins again I found twice a Maxthon search plugin v1.2.4 but with different size and file name under ...\Maxthon3\Users\guest\Addons Maybe that was the problem.

this search extension is supposed to work with google search, not search in the page, I can't figure out how it could be related with your issue, but who knows.

anyway if you remove it, it will be back next update, and since it's enabled by default, I would just leave it there but disabled !

• Pending = We are still working on this report.

Solved = The issue has been fixed and the resolution will be available in the recent version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion.