• Restoring History Database--Help Needed

conceptualclarity

Restoring History Database.txt

I was having serious problems on my computer today. I somehow hit the wrong key and Maxthon went crazy on me: it was loading a help page tab over and over, past a hundred times. I had to shut down that session. When I rebooted I had problems that led me to restore an image from June 17. I ultimately figured out my real problem was my computer wasn't recognizing my keyboard. When I finally got things normal again and brought up Maxthon, I got a window that telling me my History database had been destroyed. It showed some file path and asked me if I wanted to reconstruct the database. I clicked on the option for reconstruct it. However, Maxthon instantly crashed, and I wasn't offered that option when I brought it up again. I can see that indeed much of my history database is gone. Having all the Maxthon history available is very important to me. Can you help me do what that popup was offering me to do?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Than you, ody.

What do I do once I bring those up?

There is one recent day that's absent from my about:history that is chronicled on the online history. i tried to drag and drop from the latter to the former, but that didn't work.

The amount of recent history that appears to be missing from the online history grids is actually greater than the amount missing from about:history. Since Maxthon is a cloud browser, i hoped the online grids would have it all saved.

5 hours ago, conceptualclarity said:

Than you, ody.

What do I do once I bring those up?

There is one recent day that's absent from my about:history that is chronicled on the online history. i tried to drag and drop from the latter to the former, but that didn't work.

The amount of recent history that appears to be missing from the online history grids is actually greater than the amount missing from about:history. Since Maxthon is a cloud browser, i hoped the online grids would have it all saved.

important thing is we know now that your history is there, but there's probably a corrupted file in it (hence the missing files in online history ?).

IMO you have 2 options : but someone else will probably have a better idea

• use the "about:history" when needed
    • or rename your history folder which is here :  C:\Users\**you**\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\*****@***.****\History, maxthon will retrieve the online files. (I think I would try to rename the files inside this folder one by one to find out which one is corrupted.)

I know some people wipe out their history databases, but I'm totally the opposite. I want to be able to type in a subject I remember reading about--maybe it seems more relevant now than at the time--and I want to see results from way back. Maybe I want to see where I bought something last time around.

On about:history I see a missing gap between April 19 and June 21 of this year. Whether more farther back is missing, I don't know. Online History has the missing history from June 18, but prior to that I can find nothing else there going back to New Year's Eve. Before that, I quit looking.

So what is your reading on that?

21 hours ago, -ody- said:

rename your history folder which is here :  C:\Users\**you**\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\*****@***.****\History, maxthon will retrieve the online files. (I think I would try to rename the files inside this folder one by one to find out which one is corrupted.)

Thank you again for your help. I am inclined to be careful. I would like you to explain this some more before I proceed. What is the reason for renaming the folder and files? How do I utilize that method for finding out which file is corrupted? What can be done it is determined that a file is corrupted?

I think before I do this, for safety's sake I would want to make a spare copy of the whole folder.

I am showing you recent entries in that folder.

recent Maxthon History entries.png

when you rename a file, (for instance add .sav to it, ie "history.dat.old"), maxthon will no longer be able to use it, and will recreate a new one by syncing with the online history. If the new file is the one you need, you can delete the old one, if not, delete the new and restore the old one by removing ".old".

lastabs .dat files are the last session files, they are not history files. At this point I can't help more, I dont know exactly what other files are for. Maybe 7Twenty or Joemax know ?

unfortunately, if nothing works, then you must accept that you lost a part of your history, rename the whole folder, and sync your online history. Online history stores the last 2 weeks ( by design)

• Pending = We are still working on this report.

Solved = The issue has been fixed and the resolution will be available in the recent version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion.