Maxthon Update is not working

Maxthon Update is not working for me,I am using version 4.4.5.1000

When I click the update button,the update window shows your browser is up to date whether there is a new version (4.4.5.2000) available.

It is happening for me from more than six month,every time I have to update through offline installer.

post-38648-0-83436200-1432701563_thumb.j

Hi,

Thanks for your question.You are having a ralatively new version of Maxthon. Our browser has not send updating notice to you. You can find the lastest version here.http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php/topic/15204-maxthon-cloud-browser-for-windows-v4452000-official-released/?p=82993  Also, 4.4.5.2000 is still in need of progressing as Oliver mentioned. I hope this could help you. Have a nice day!

So "You browser is up to date." is confusing.

It should be saying something like this: "The update is not needed but there is a new version available."

Also option "Check the latest beta version" doesn't work:

post-11147-0-19625800-1432735135_thumb.p

I think the main reason could be in the way how the version numbers and new updates are managed. Sometimes the new (usualy quickly fixed) version has the same number as the previous one. Or it uses letters. Sometimes it's firstly updated on forum and on main website is still the outdated version for couple of hours. Oh and then we have public, beta, internal and probably also some other versions.

I'm not surprised that the Checker is confused  :wink:

I'm not surprised that the Checker is confused  :wink:

True, but at the same time it's not too hard to ensure the logic behind the update check takes most of those into account. It really only needs to look at public final releases so anything ending with .1000 or .2000

If the beta option is selected then check for .600 / .800 / .1200 etc,

Would be interesting to know if the upload to update server is done automatically, or if someone has to manually load the latest release for the update to show up. If it's the latter, well that could explain some of the updates coming through late, on top of whatever other reasons it has. Just speculating of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Changing the text string won't help, because it still performs update check and then it's not true that "Update is not needed.", because it actually is needed, if the newer version was released.

Really is sooooo hard to create working update checker, which has every "dumb" program?

In my previous post I wanted to point at fact that update checker will never work as expected if the version number remains the same, even if the own product, the file, "the version", the MD5/SHAvalue was changed (as it happend in the past, if I am right).

Really is sooooo hard to create working update checker, which has every "dumb" program?

In my previous post I wanted to point at fact that update checker will never work as expected if the version number remains the same, even if the own product, the file, "the version", the MD5/SHAvalue was changed (as it happend in the past, if I am right).

Good point. A check of one of the DLL's build version would probably be the other option in cases like this. There are lot's of options that can be used. Just needs to be implemented in such a way that it works as designed and consistently.

Archived